The keys points that you should ask to be covered in a pet reference from a previous landlord are:
- How long did the tenant live in the previous property with their pets?
- Which pets did they own at that time?
- Does the referee consider the tenant to be a responsible pet owner?
- Were the tenant’s pets well behaved?
- Did their pets cause any damage to the property?
- Did their pets cause a nuisance to neighbors or visitors?
If the reference is to be provided by a veterinary surgeon, it should cover the following points:
- Are the tenant’s pets generally well behaved?
- Does the veterinary surgeon consider the tenant to be a responsible pet owner?
- Does the tenant provide routine preventive health care, such as vaccinations and flea treatments, for their pets.